If your winter season is typically overflowing with events, parties, get-togethers, and shin-digs, these can be great excuses to shake up your look with shimmering holiday style! Student stylist from the Aveda Institute Winnipeg, Kaitlyn Rheault’s fusion rope braid/chignon is a surprisingly simple and super chic way to infuse your look with a little sparkle in no time, and a shining example of how to turn heads wherever your plans might take you.
1. Prep hair with Volumizing Tonic at roots for hold and grit. Then spray Texture Tonic on mid-lengths and ends- the Epsom salts give the hair great texture and sugar cane adds a beautiful shine. Blow dry the product into the hair.
2. Create a deep side part, then begin curling all of the hair.
3. Start a rope braid from the front hairline, picking up hair as you go.
4. Tie off the rope braid with a small elastic at the center back of the head.
5. Pin rope braid into place with bobby pins.
6. Take a small section at the front on the other side and begin lightly backcombing
7. Smooth out this section and gently stretch backward and pin to the side
8. Begin taking small sections of hair and twisting the section, once you have created the twist hold it by the ends and slide the hair upwards.
9. Pin twist into place with bobby pins. Continue doing this step until you have completed twisting and pinning the rest of the hair into a side bun.
10. Spray Air Control all over the upstyle
11. Finish off the look with Brilliant Spray-On Shine, for some Holiday shimmer.
2. Sectioning clips
4. Curling iron
5. Mini elastics
6. Bobby pins
7. Backcombing brush
8. Volumizing Tonic
9. Texture Tonic
10. Air Control
11. Brilliant Spray-On Shine
“Doing upstyles is one of my favourite things to do when it comes to hair. I love doing this upstyle because it looks like an intricate bun that might have been hard to do, but really it's quite simple, looks very elegant and is a great look for the holidays. I'm a student from the July class and will be graduating in March 2018. I moved to Winnipeg from New Brunswick specifically for this program, and have to say that I'm glad that I did. Aveda Institute Winnipeg has given me the skills and confidence in order to be successful in a future career in hair. Aveda has been my home away from home, the educators and staff are so kind and caring which makes AIW a beautiful place to be.”
Kaitlyn Rheault - Aveda Institute Winnipeg
Follow her on Instagram! @kaitlyndoescheveux