Baby, it may be cold outside, but don’t let frosty nights get you down (or be any excuse to keep your beautiful locks hidden under woolly hats). Former student from the Aveda Academy Vancouver, Alexis Karpiak, offers a polished look that’s perfect for holiday gatherings with her braided ponytail tutorial. With a style this pretty, you’ll definitely want to skip the winter bonnet in favour of some well-placed earmuffs if you’re planning on braving an icy outing!
1) Start by prepping hair with Damage Remedy Split End Repair. This will keep fine hairs in place and looking healthy during cold weather that can dry hair out or make it brittle and susceptible to breakage.
2) Place hair in a ponytail and wrap a small amount of hair from the ponytail around the elastic to hide it.
3) Using a tail comb remove 2 small subsections from the top of the ponytail and elastic the 2 pieces together under the ponytail.
4) Continue with this pattern until you reach the ends of the hair.
5) Wrap a small section of loose hair from the bottom around the elastic to polish the look.
6) Finish with a light application of Air Control hair spray to hold the style in place.
Products: Aveda Air Control, Damage Remedy Split End Repair
Tools: Comb, Clips, Elastic bands, Brush
“One of the many things I learned in hair school was to never be afraid. If you aren’t scared, you’re not taking yourself out of your comfort zone and allowing yourself to grow as an artist. Love of beauty is taste, the creation of beauty is art!”
-Alexis Karpiak - Aveda Institute Vancouver