Whether sporting oversized blazers or donning specs you may or may not actually need to see, the Fall season continues to be all about embracing nerd couture. But when completing your geek chic look, why limit yourself to staples like librarian buns and half-hearted ponytails. From the Aveda Institute Vancouver comes an inspired braided style with a twist- the DNA braid. Imitating the double-helix structure of our molecular make-up, this plaited pony is an elegant alternative to your hum-drum standbys. Institute graduate and current Academy student Shauna Schmitke, demonstrates the step-by-step guide to create this too-cool-for-school coiffe.
1) Place hair in a ponytail and section ponytail into 3…if the hair easily tangles apply a small amount of Aveda Damage Remedy Split End Repair.
2) From the bottom of the left piece take out a small section of hair. This will be your moving piece while the 3 main pieces stay stationary.
3) Using your small piece draw it up over the left piece then down under the middle piece.
4) Take the small piece and draw it up over the right piece wrapping it around in a "figure 8" shape to bring the small piece back over TOP of the middle piece.
5) After moving your small piece over the middle draw it under the left piece and wrap it around in a "figure 8" to draw it back under the middle.
6) Continue weave your moving piece under the middle when going to the right and "figure 8" then over the middle moving to the left and "figure 8".
PRO TIP: If your moving piece starts to get too short to continue weaving and wrapping add hair to it when you are wrapping a "figure 8" around the left or right piece.
7) Continue pattern until you reach desired length of braid.
8) Place an elastic at the end of your braid and twist the whole thing to get it to "spin"! Finish with Aveda Air Control.